Friday, 13 November 2015

Fashion Junkie

So, on a Friday night, I find myself to be somewhat inspired by an article I read on Elleuk.com  about the addiction of luxury spending. It talks about how one big-ticket item can lead to another, and another, and so on. Now, I can't say I've completely experienced this as- after all- I'm a 21 year old student so I don't exactly have the disposable income to spend on a £2000 bag...however the principle is the same; I am a shopping addict.

Anyone that knows me (or even just follows me on Instagram) can witness for themselves how much fashion paraphernalia I buy every month. And it's dawned on me recently that it's kind of getting out of control. The thing is, despite the fact I'm a student, I don't spend my money on dirt cheap pieces of clothing- though yes I'm still talking high street prices- from the likes of Primark, New Look, Miss Guided etc. To be completely honest, Topshop and Asos get all of my money, tied with vintage shops.   Yes it's still high street, however to a 21 year old they're still considered pretty pricy, and a lot of my friends boycott these and go to cheaper shops for "fast" fashion that will expire in two months time.

My shopping regime is very particular; I spend a lot of time evaluating a product before buying it- the cost, will I wear it, is it a waste of money blah blah blah- and the only time I really impulse buy is if I find something in the sales. And yet I'm probably averaging about £50-£70 a week on clothes over the last few months. So you can imagine how many clothes I've actually accumulated over this time *shudders*. However, it is MY money. I've now got a part time job at a high street shoe chain, and it's the first time I've ever had this kind of income to spend! (I don't get anything with a student loan, I have to make up the difference with my own money).

I think the real reason I end up buying so much- and not gonna lie about 70% of the time it's due to online shopping and roaming the web in an evening- is because it's my go-to thing for comfort. When I'm feeling down/stressed I automatically open the Topshop website and click "new in". And before i know it, I've got two pairs of shoes and a playsuit in my basket due to arrive tomorrow (I order so much from Toppers that I have unlimited next day free delivery...yeah).

I'm trying to go on a fashion diet, i.e. stop spending my entire months wage on clothes that i don't need, especially with Christmas looming around the corner. 

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to this a hundred times over. I had no choice but to get a job while at uni because without it I would never be able to afford to buy so much. And I'm the same - still all high street stuff, but just in ridiculous quantities! Really like your blog keep it up :) have subscribed on bloglovin'.


    Ruby Xx

    Another Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete