Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Social Media Feels

I don't know what it is lately, but for some reason I find myself feeling completely and utterly bored by social media at the moment. In particular, instagram. Now I'm the first to admit that I suffer with instagram 'OCD', i.e making sure posts match your 'theme' and have a flow to them. Which when I think about it is pretty ridiculous. Especially for someone like me who is only really followed by friends and the occasional blogger, but for some reason I find each post I make more and more stressful, and it's not exactly flattering when you lose about 2 followers every time you post a selfie. So why do I care so much?

I think instagram has changed from "social media" to almost creating a "branding" for yourself; it's not about posting personal photos of your nights out, or photos of your pets anymore, it's now a platform to show only the perfect aspects of your life. The whole thing is filtered, and make believe. Sure we all find our selves double tapping a famous bloggers coffee picture and thinking "Sigh, I wish I had their life"whilst we sit in pyjamas and watch re-runs of Friends.


(my instagram)

But is any of it real? No. Everything is cropped, filtered and air brushed to perfection. And I understand that it's part of the trend, but for me personally I just feel like instagram's lost its element of fun; the pressure to post glamorous pictures is ever growing, when sometimes i just want to post a picture of me sat in bed with my Häagen-Dazs (Cookies and Cream- best flavour ever), tired from a long day at work- yes, I work which is another reason I can't go around dressed in the latest ASOS collection drinking flat whites in London. 

Basically I think it's all to easy to get sucked in to this world of filters, and there's too much pressure to become a brand. Maybe I think too much in to it, but I fully admit that the pressure of taking square photos in perfect lighting with the right filter, is taking up too much time in my life. In ten years time, will it really matter? Probably not. 

Love Elizabeth xx

No comments:

Post a Comment